The Attitude of Gratitude
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE
Top researcher, Robert Emmons said: “The practice of gratitude can increase happiness levels by around 25%. This is not hard to achieve – a few hours of writing in a gratitude journal for three weeks can create an effect that lasts for 6 months or more.
Cultivating gratitude also brings other health effects, such as longer and better quality sleep time.”
Are you intrigued yet? Here are 10 Ways to Practice Gratitude Today!*
1) Post words, photos, and objects of gratitude in your home. Place the items where you will see them often, and then let them remind you to be grateful.
2) Gratitude journal. This is the most common gratitude practice and one of the most effective according to research. Write 5 things you are grateful for and try not to repeat items too often. Do this each night before bed or even once a week but do it regularly and sincerely.
3) Gratitude Letter and Visit. Think of someone who has made a powerful impact on your life, write a letter of gratitude to them then visit them and read it in person. You can mail it too, but actually doing it in person is one of the most powerful gratitude practices you can do!
4) Incorporate gratitude into exercise or morning routines. Reflect as you warm up for exercise, it is a great way to start your day.
5) Say “Thank You” more often. Just start saying it for everything. Everyone likes to be thanked.
6) Write Thank You notes. When someone touches your heart, write them a note. It’s also wonderful to write a note “just because”.
7) Text your loved ones a message of thanks. Simple. Effective. One of the greatest ways to make their day, and yours.
8) Practice Mindfulness to appreciate each moment. Focus on the present moment. Notice what is around you.
Experiencing what is right in front of you is one of the surest ways to keep a grateful heart. It also ensures you
won’t miss a single special blessing.
9) “Three Blessings” Exercise. This is a great family activity. At dinner time or before bed, ask your child to tell you three blessings they have experienced that day. Make sure you join in too!
10) Acknowledge one ungrateful thought per day and replace it with a grateful one. Learning to hear, question, and alter your thoughts into something more grateful is a blessing. It gives you the power to change your life one ungrateful thought at a time.